Thursday, 24 June 2010

Wooden Sun Craft

We've just returned home from a week-long family vacation. More on that in a later post. While it was a lovely vacation, we were all so very happy to be back home. As we sifted through the post-vacation chaos that comes with being a family of seven, I was struck with the overwhelming urge to craft something. Sensible, right? I mean we had been away from crafting for a whole week. And what a creative way to procrastinate from getting all of that unpacking done!Inspired by all of the sunshine*y crafting goodness that went on over at Twig and Toadstool, I came up with this sun idea...
Supplies:
- log round
- twigs
- secateurs (hand pruners for cutting the twigs to length)
- drill
- craft or wood glue
- watercolour pencil crayons
- beeswax mineral oil polish

Using the appropriate-sized drill bit for the diameter of the twigs being used, holes were drilled into the sides of the log round.Glue was squeezed into the holes and the twigs were inserted.And then, because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I decided to add a splash of colour to the surface area of the log round. I can't resist spirals.
But I confess, I only painted one side with the spiral. I couldn't decide whether I preferred the natural look or the enhanced look. I thought it was a clever way of being noncommittal by doing one side of each. This way it can just be flipped around depending on one's mood.

Finally, the sun was completed with just the flat surface being covered in a beeswax mineral oil polish, to bring out the grain in the wood.

I haven't done this with the kids yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so. The holes can be pre-drilled and the twigs pre-cut for the younger ones. And the painting they could do! I'm sure they'll have no reservation about painting both sides.

21 comments:

  1. I really like this - on so many levels. But I will say that you are, indeed, worse than I am. I do not come home and immediately cast around for something to shape with my hands. Words - oh, yeah. So you can come and live in my neighborhood, and make me stuff and I will write stories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yellow spiral and the natural side! So beautiful:) Please post your tutorial on Creative Friday tomorrow:)
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed you...your name came up in a meeting I was at last night and I smiled inside. This is pretty! I love how you often refer to yourself as noncommittal and indecisive, yet you have 5 children...you don't get much more committed than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I had a wonderful comment, and the cyber thief stole it...*grumble*

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great prodject. I can't wait to try this with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful, fabulous craft! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I don't envy the amount of post vacation LAUNDRY you're probably doing...but that is one cute sun.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful craft! Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely sun. Makes me want to pick it up and turn it over in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so creative! What a wonderful solstice project. I'll have to remember this for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your lovely comments. Y'all make me smile.

    K, a stuff-for-stories trade...I like it. But I'm not moving - traveling was exhausting enough! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just know we'll be making these! Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the splash of color on wood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh this is just beautiful, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. we are so into suns over here. definitely on our list To Make! Thanks for the inspiration!

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow these are wonderfully original and look beautiful!

    I do a monthly themed Get Crafty feature, this month being "Summer".

    Would you like to "take part"?

    Here is LAST month's ManMade as a reference:

    http://redtedart.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/get-crafty-july-2010-made-by-man/

    Drop me an email or leave a comment!

    Maggy
    (info at redtedart dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful craft for a sunny home like mine. I love your b&w wandering wednesday photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooo, another cool idea. We'll have to wait until next summer for this one...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sou brasileira. Abri seu blog, casualmente, por causa das fotos que vi em outro blog. Fiquei fascinada! Meus parabéns pela sensibilidade e pelo bom gosto. Com as devidas precauções, vou colocar fotos suas em meu blog para mostrar sua arte (http://milagresdamariacelia.blogspot.com/)
    Abraço, Maria Célia

    ReplyDelete

Oh how heart-warming it is to receive your comments - thank you! I encourage you to leave comments, but if you happen to know me/us, please don't mention any actual names. I'm going for the mysterious-blogger vibe (otherwise known as the I'm-kinda-paranoid vibe). ;-)

Thanks for visiting!

Incognito,

Wabi-Sabi Wanderer